ICAO requires that Fiji maintain an acceptable level of safety in the provision of air traffic services (ATS) and communications, navigation and surveillance, as well as the ATS procedures applicable to the aerodrome concerned.
ICAO also requires that the services, systems and procedures applicable to aerodromes in Fiji facilitate the harmonization of ATS in adjacent airspaces.
This is enshrined in Article 15 of the Chicago Convention that Fiji is signatory to and has been enacted in the Fiji Civil Aviation Act 1973
ICAO ANNEX 14
Accordingly CAAF certifies all aerodromes used for international operations in accordance with the specifications contained in ICAO Annex 14 as well as other relevant ICAO specifications that have been enshrined in Fiji's regulatory framework.
This regulatory framework includes the establishment of criteria and procedures for the certification of aerodromes.
As part of the certification process, aerodrome operators in Fiji are required to submit an aerodrome manual which contains all relating pertinent information such as aerodrome site, facilities, services, equipment, operating procedures, organisation and management including a safety management system, for approval by CAAF prior to granting the aerodrome certificate.
Registration & Certification
To register or certify an aerodrome, an application is required to be made to the CAAF. The application shall include:
- completed application form;
- the exposition as required by CAAF Standards Document - Aerodromes;
- the aerodrome manual as required by CAAF Standards Document - Aerodromes (For registration - not required);
- a plan of the aerodrome and its facilities certified by a registered surveyor;
- an environmental impact assessment for new/initial aerodrome applications, and
- evidence of lawful entitlement to use the place as an aerodrome.
For further information, refer to
- Laws of Fiji
- CAAF Standards Documents
- CAAF Application Forms
- CAAF Aeronautical Information Circulars
- CAAF Guidance Documents
If you have any questions about this topic, email email@example.com